[Rhodes22-list] Gulf Coast Sailing

Ben Schultz BenS at ApproSystems.com
Fri Apr 16 08:12:43 EDT 2004

Ed,

Louisiana doesn't really have much of a "coast" in the sense that Florida
does.  It just tends to get wetter and wetter until the marsh finally turns
into ocean.  That leaves us with some really pretty areas for sailing:  gold
marsh grasses, seemingly infinite variety of birds, great fishing, etc --
but it doesn't lend itself to good waterfront property for the rich folks.

Even the solid ground with waterfront is suprisingly undeveloped so far.
There are a handful of towns with nice waterfront streets and million dollar
homes on them, but there's no way anyone would get that much for just a lot.
The majority of waterfront dwellings here are still the rusty, leaning camp
variety.

You may have heard or read about how the Louisiana wetlands are eroding
away.  Out in the gulf, there are a lot of camps that were once firm on
barrier islands.  Now, some of them look like they're built right out over
the water.  I've got a fishing trip out there next month.  I'll take some
pictures to show you how it looks.  It's kind of interesting, kind of sad.

Ben

-----Original Message-----
From: ed kroposki [mailto:ekroposki at charter.net]
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2004 18:26
To: 'The Rhodes 22 mail list'
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Gulf Coast Sailing

Ben,

      Thanks, this was a really good site for sailing entertainment.

 <http://www.tgw.net/> http://www.tgw.net/

BTW, last weekend I visited the Gulf Coast, in the Apalachicola, Florida
area.  I had not been there in about 10 years.  It looks like a great place
to sail a Rhodes22.  Unfortunately, it is over a nine hour drive for me in a
car without a trailer.  The Gulf on a windy day (25-30mph) was doable.  The
Gulf on a windy day is not as ruff as the Atlantic.  Apalachicola Bay and
St. Joseph's Bay looked fantastic.

I guess these guys buying the new expensive boats have the money to buy the
expensive waterfront houses being built all along the coast.  Water front
lots down there start at over $1,000,000.  Then they build huge houses,
worth mega bucks.  Is that the way it is on your part of the coast?

                           Ed K

The information transmitted may contain confidential material and is
intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any
action by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is
prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the information from
your system and contact the sender.