[Rhodes22-list] IMF Furling Repair; Mainsail replacement; mastlowered and raised twice out on the lake yesterday

David Keyes dkeyes at houston.rr.com
Mon Apr 19 01:37:06 EDT 2004

Thanks, Bob.

As to replacing an IMF mainsail or doing an IMF repair involving re-wrapping
the furling line, I also want to add to what I wrote before, for others on
the list, a point also raised in prior list postings by others, and by Stan
in his email instructions to me--get the sail wrapping direction and the
direction and number of turns on the furling line right.

Before removing the IMF tube or the sliding boom block, note the number of
wraps remaining on the tube when the black (on my boat) in-haul furling line
is pulled all the way out. I would suggest that at least one full wrap
should remain.  Keep this number of wraps, or slightly more, when the new
sail is replaced, and also note the direction of the wrapping, so that after
is the same as before.  When you take off the mainsail, notice the direction
that the sail comes out of the slot and wraps around the IMF tube.
Replicate this direction with the new sail.

Keep a mental picture of where the sail is (in or out) when the black
in-haul line is out as far as it will pull, and whether the mainsail is
fully wrapped or unwrapped in this position.  (When you pull out on the
in-haul line, the sail is being wrapped up.  When the in-haul line is out as
far as you want it, say, with one wrap left around the tube, the sail should
be all the way back in.)  In other words, just keep a picture of what the
sail is doing when you pull on the in-haul furling line or the outhaul (blue
on my boat) line.  Then, after you put the new sail on, and just before and
again just after you put the tube back into the mast, pull the in-haul line
slightly out and make sure that the sail will move in the direction of
wrapping more around the tube.  Conversely, pull on the clew of the sail and
make sure that the sail will come out, and that it is causing the in-haul
line to begin to wrap more around the tube.

It is not necessary to do the above.  You might luck out.  Or, like me, you
might have to lower the mast again and do the job twice, wondering if you
followed the above instructions properly the first time--I think I did and
the sail was just caught, but I was not sure, so I did the job a second
time.  A little slight furling and unfurling trial and error--maybe just a
few inches each way--as you go along, before you go to the trouble of
raising the mast with the new sail, is a good idea.

David