[Rhodes22-list] Hello from a New Boat Owner

Robert Dilk Robert.Dilk at TRW.COM
Thu Apr 22 14:52:06 EDT 2004

Jeff

2nd question: I believe the fair leads on the cabin top are for sheeting inside the shrouds.
I have the GBI roller reefing 150% Genoa which if I roll up to 100% I can sheet inside the shrouds. works poorly
I can also furl the Genoa and fly a wire luff storm jib behind the forestay and sheet inside the shrouds. this works great.

Hope that helps

Bob
S/V Knot Necessary

>>> JSusanj at aol.com 04/22/04 01:32PM >>>
My name is Jeff Susanj and let me make one thing perfectly clear to start.  I do not own a Rhodes 22.  I have recently purchased a 1975 Columbian Prestige which in every detail seems to be a Rhodes 22.  I was looking through the archives and noted a comment about someone making Rhodes 22 knockoffs until they were sued.  Well, I think this is one of those knockoffs, in fact the first one made by Columbian Fiberglass.  The HIN is CFG22001M75F.  The boat has a non IMF main and a hanked on jib.  Since my experience has all been with non-furling mains, I will probably leave it that way.  However I suspect I will add roller furling to the genoa.  My other boat is a Chrysler Mutineer and it came with roller furling and I really like it, especially when I sail into the harbor (no motor).

Of course, as with any new boat owner, I have questions and I hope my boat is enough like a Rhodes 22 (all of the pictures I have seen seem to match) that you can help me out.  Actually, the owners' web site has helped me out a lot so far.  I already know more about the boat than the guy I bought it from and I haven't put it in the water yet.

OK, first question:  Instead of a bar traveler, there is a line with a block attached to the backstays.  The mainsheet block attaches to a becket on top of the bock and there is another becket under the block.  I understand that the earlier boats had rope travelers and I assume this is what I have.  What should be attached to the bottom becket to control the traveler?

Second question: On each side deck near the chainplates there is a large round fairlead simlar to what is on the jib cars.  What is this for?

Thanks for any help you can give me, now and in the future.  I have enjoyed the Rhodes 22 owners' site so far and am looking forward to sailing the boat.

Jeff S.