[Rhodes22-list] Hello from a New Boat Owner

Lloyd Crowther lcrowther at cox.net
Sat Apr 24 01:07:03 EDT 2004

Answer by Lloyd Crowther

----- Original Message -----
From: <JSusanj at aol.com>
To: <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 1:32 PM
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Hello from a New Boat Owner

> My name is Jeff Susanj and let me make one thing perfectly clear to start.
I do not own a Rhodes 22.  I have recently purchased a 1975 Columbian
Prestige which in every detail seems to be a Rhodes 22.  I was looking
through the archives and noted a comment about someone making Rhodes 22
knockoffs until they were sued.  Well, I think this is one of those
knockoffs, in fact the first one made by Columbian Fiberglass.  The HIN is
CFG22001M75F.  The boat has a non IMF main and a hanked on jib.  Since my
experience has all been with non-furling mains, I will probably leave it
that way.  However I suspect I will add roller furling to the genoa.  My
other boat is a Chrysler Mutineer and it came with roller furling and I
really like it, especially when I sail into the harbor (no motor).

> Of course, as with any new boat owner, I have questions and I hope my boat
is enough like a Rhodes 22 (all of the pictures I have seen seem to match)
that you can help me out.  Actually, the owners' web site has helped me out
a lot so far.  I already know more about the boat than the guy I bought it
from and I haven't put it in the water yet.

> OK, first question:  Instead of a bar traveler, there is a line with a
block attached to the backstays.  The mainsheet block attaches to a becket
on top of the bock and there is another becket under the block.  I
understand that the earlier boats had rope travelers and I assume this is
what I have.  What should be attached to the bottom becket to control the
traveler?

ANSWER: Another block that the rope traveler passes through.  On my boat the
rope traveler begins at a becket on a single block attached to the port
backstay, goes through a single block attached to the becket on the bottom
of mainsheet block to a single block on the starboard backstay, down through
that block and  back through the same single block under the mainsheet
block, then down through the single block with the becket on the port back
stay to a cleat on the transom next to the chainplate for the port backstay.
The friction of the two lines making up the rope traveler where it goes
through the single block below the mainsheet block allows me to move the
mainsail block one way or the other along the travler by grabbbing the
mainsheet block and pulling it down to relieve the tension on the rope
traveler, the tension when I let go of the mainsail block prevents the
mainsail block from moving on its own.  At least that's the way it works for
me, I'm sure there will be many comments that disagree.

I also have the reverse setup higher on the backstays to control the
backstay tension, it ends at a cleat on the transom below the starboard
backstay.

> Second question: On each side deck near the chainplates there is a large
round fairlead simlar to what is on the jib cars.  What is this for?

ANSWER: Don't know, my boat is an '84 Rhodes 22 and it is missing that
feature of  your Columbian Prestige.

> Thanks for any help you can give me, now and in the future.  I have
enjoyed the Rhodes 22 owners' site so far and am looking forward to sailing
the boat.