[Rhodes22-list] Hello from a New Boat Owner

Richard F Sheehan dickshee at juno.com
Fri Apr 23 10:31:53 EDT 2004

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:32:33 -0400 JSusanj at aol.com writes:> OK, first
question:  Instead of a bar traveler, there is a line with
> a block attached to the backstays.  The mainsheet block attaches to
> a becket on top of the bock and there is another becket under the
> block.  I understand that the earlier boats had rope travelers and I
> assume this is what I have.  What should be attached to the bottom
becket to control the traveler?

Jeff, This is one that I can't help you with.  However, if you wish to
convert to a General Boats bar traveler system, I can furnish you with
pictures and technique to make that conversion.

> Second question: On each side deck near the chainplates there is a
> large round fairlead similar to what is on the jib cars.  What is  this
for?

The R22 usually is sold with an enormous 175% genoa made of very heavy
sailcloth.  These rings are the fairleads for that sail, which comes well
back to the cockpit.  Having a more normal sized jib, I usually use the
inner track and fairleads.  The big rings make wonderful attachment
points for fenders.

Since you have a hanked on jib of some size or other, you might consider
spending less money than a roller furler on a second hanked on jib either
larger or smaller than what you have right now.  West Marine has jib
storage bags for most jib sizes - The kind that stay on the boat, hold
the jib, and you unzip prior to deployment.  By bringing the jib halyard
into the cockpit, you could have the convenience of a roller furler
without the expense.

Welcome to the group,
        Dick

PS  I'd be very interested to know what size jib you have now.  I'm still
trying to figure out Phil Rhodes' original sail plan.

Richard F. Sheehan
218 Pier D
Naples, FL 34112
239-793-0053