[Rhodes22-list] Mast Raising

Rik Sandberg sanderico at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 23 18:04:50 EDT 2004

Jim,

Nothing wrong with what you are doing at all, as long as you are strong
enough to lift the mast. :-) The only point I was trying to make was, one
cannot move the mast down to the aft rail until AFTER he has put the foot
of the mast up on the bow pulpit.

What Slim and I were discussing was lowering the mast from upright,
directly to the aft rail, without using the mast crutch on the transom.
This cannot be done with a normal R 22. The mast will hit the companionway
sliding hatch. As I said, once you have removed the mast foot from the
tabernacle and set it up on the bow pulpit, the mast clearing the
companionway hatch is not a problem.

Rik