[Rhodes22-list] Re: Try this button for the Sailmaster

stan stan at rhodes22.com
Mon Apr 26 08:51:04 EDT 2004

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: stan
  To: ed kroposki
  Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 7:47 AM
  Subject: Re: Try this button for the Sailmaster

  the enemy IS me.

  Lofland SAILCRAFT was in Wichita KS where the Picnic 17 was built.  Ten Eke Associates was a Wichita industrial design team who did airplane designs and expressed an interest in doing the plug for the 22 that they heard I was dreaming of so I gave them that job and Lofland Sailcraft (who built Snipes and Lightnings) made the first few Rhodes.

  We had a local storm window guy make the windows and with only two molds instead of the 26 we now use, there was no pop top. Later on I developed a pop top that you raised by merely lifting up the back end and the front end levitated upward by itself but no one opted for this $59,000 option.

  The cockpit floor was made of wood and the cockpit became self bailing as soon as the wood swelled from the leaks.  However thereafter it rotted.

  The cb and rudder blade were made of aluminum sheet metal that would go into a "U" shape when coming about allowing the boat to make fantastic "U" turns.

  The bow ports below the rub rail were for ventilation but someone left them open and the boat sunk after going through its first wave.

  This could be the very first Rhodes so, as mentioned, it could become a high end Christies candidate after the artist dies.

  stan/gbi