[Rhodes22-list] New Rhodes Boat Owner

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Mon Aug 2 14:38:40 EDT 2004

Nell,

Congratulations on your decision to buy a Rhodes 22!  You're going to love
it!  As for the add-ons, here's my two cents:  Ours is a 1990 that we bought
used--not recycled from GBI--and it's pretty much stripped down and basic
with a few exceptions.  Had we bought from Stan, we probably would have
ordered a few extras, but as it is, we're very happy.  We have the IMF and
love it.  We have the mast-raising hoist system and I think that's a must
under any circumstances.  With it you can raise or lower the mast on the
trailer or on the water.  Remember that you might have to lower the mast for
repairs/maintenance, not only for hauling out and trailering.

We have the cockpit cushions.  You may surmise by my nickname that I could
use a little extra padding where it counts!  Also, if you go for the cockpit
filler boards and filler cushions, the whole cockpit becomes a giant bed.
We have the big boom room and use it almost every time we overnight--even if
it's just two of us.  It's great to sleep out there in the fresh air and
wake up not wet with dew.  It also means that one can get up at night to go
to the head and not have to crawl over the other person sleeping on the
settee, or worse, if they're in the V-berth, which is open to the head area.
(Newer models have the head completely enclosed.)  And speaking of the head,
we use a porta-potty and like its simplicity.

The only electronics we have are the VHF and the lights.  The previous owner
installed an electric bilge pump, but it's never been deployed.  We have no
real need for anything else.  Our light weight 8 hp two-stroke Merc usually
starts on the first or second pull.  The manual motor lift works fine.  If
we need navigational tools, a hand held GPS works for us.  I don't need an
auto pilot because I prefer to sail the boat myself.  The same goes for the
self-tending jib.  For me, sailing is an activity that I enjoy.  I don't
mind getting out of my seat to tack the jib.

We prefer the simplicity of the icebox over the powered refer.  We're in the
habit of using a shoe box and a trash bag to freeze blocks of ice in our
home freezer and we just grab one when we're heading out.

I think your biggest decision is about the captain's chairs since that's
something not easily changed or added later, due to the bump out rail.  We
don't have them but I can still sit comfortably on the rail and lean against
the standard stern pulpit.  I like the look of the boat without them, and I
usually sit down in the cockpit anyway.  That said, I like the walk-through
at the boarding ladder that comes with the bump out rails.

What I like about the boat is the boat itself, so I try to keep it simple
and spend more time sailing and less time fixing, maintenizing or replacing
peripherals.  You can have a stripped down model and still plan to enjoy it
forever.  If you need to add stuff to it later, you can.  For example, if
you can make do with the manual motor lift for now, don't get the electric
because you think you might need it ten years in the future.

You didn't mention where you're located but think about where and under what
circumstances you'll be sailing and get what you know you'll need for now
and forget the rest and save yourself some time, headaches, confusion and
money.  Good luck and welcome to our little forum.

Slim
S/V Fandango
Lake Minnetonka in Minnesota