[Rhodes22-list] Russell's upright problem

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Mon Aug 9 09:06:24 EDT 2004

Todd,

I've used both the Mac system and the R-22 system, and the R-22 system is better.  The factor is the intellectual property aspect.

There is no trick to raising masts when nothing goes wrong.  A number of people on the list have advocated a simple wooden A-Frame alternative costing a fraction of the Mac crane pole.  Sooner or later these people always have incidents like what Russ must have encountered.  Something goes wrong.  Someone could have been, or was, hurt.

Stan is an engineer.  Russ isn't.  You want Stan to solve Russ's problem, and then for Russ, instead of paying Stan, to have someone else simply copy Stan's solution.  Once Stan understands that people have no intention of paying him for his work, he's going to stop doing that work for those people.  Lucky for us, Stan has been slow to catch on.  He's an engineer, he likes to solve problems.

Last night on 60 Minutes there was a rerun about the Chinese stealing American intellectual property with Americans whining about the cost of this theft.  It was funny to hear the golf club guys talk about how similar the $275 Chinese knock-off looked and played compared to the $3,000 original.  It was less funny to learn that 1000s of Chinese babies had died from milk formula that looked like the American product, but contained no nutrients.  Or that 1000s of adults had died from taking Chinese medicines that had no active ingredients.

People have come on this list to rip Stan's mast raising system for being dangerous and poorly made only to discover that the inexpensive system they were using was not Stan's at all.

This concept is hard to explain, and the ramifications of this kind of stealing are difficult to absorb.  I previously explained how I, as a younger man, figured out how to rip off the telephone company, and saw nothing wrong about it at the time.  It's something many of us have done.

But if people who know better don't challenge this notion whenever it comes up, it weakens us all as a nation.

Of course, you can always just hit the delete key, but apparently you don't.

And for that I thank you,

Bill