[Rhodes22-list] The time has come, the walrus said...

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Wed Aug 11 15:48:38 EDT 2004

Interesting title. If you remember the whole poem, the "The time has come, the walrus said, to talk of many things" part was really a ruse, and those that listened, all of the little oysters except the eldest one, suffered the consequences of being taken in.

That said, maybe instead of selling, find someone younger that has no access to a boat, but would be thrilled to learn to sail. Make him/her your first mate, begin teaching, and letting someone else do the work. Then you get to keep your beloved boat, maybe even passing it on to another who will appreciate it when you're gone.

I got into sailing WAY too late, but I will never sell my O'Day 25. One of my kids, or one of their husbands, or one of their kids, SOMEONE will eventually express an interest similar to mine. I'll begin taking him or her out, teaching them to sail. I've got four daughters and one son, with four grandkids already, and more to come (2 of the daughters haven't started having kiddo's yet), so I believe I'll have a wealth of opportunity.

Then, they will have the advantage of starting the sport at a much earlier age than I (I'm 47, and have been REALLY sailing for 2 years now), so the opportunities will be far greater for them than me. Add to that, I'll never have to watch my S/V O'Jure go to another owner.

Herb Parsons

S/V O'Jure
  25' O'Day

S/V Reve de Papa
  35' Coronado

>>> Lloyd Crowther<lcrowther at cox.net> 8/11/2004 10:04:50 AM >>>
Speaking of many things, I have begun to experience old age legs.  The problem has been increasing lack of mobility, stiff joints, difficulty bending over to pick up dog poop (a major factor in my life style), getting in and out of my car, and walking with a shuffle.  The solution, medication.  The results, not so great.  I guess I have to stop thinking of myself as a spry 65 year old and accept that the ensuing 13 years are beginning to take their toll.  I was ready to accept memory problems, I have always been a fuzzy thinker anyhow, but this has come as a surprise.

After spending three weeks off the water because of these problems I went out sailing last Monday.   Single handing as usual.  Beautiful day, peaceful, comfortably cool, and
enough breeze to keep the boat going.  But what a reality check.  I had trouble moving from the cockpit to the deck, especially under way, and even more trouble going the other way.  Lame is too gentle a description.

In any event, I am beginning to think it is time to accept my single handing days are drawing to a close and begin playing more online Poker.   Therein lies my problem.  Uhuru II took water during last September's visit by Hurricane Isabel's storm surge.  No physical damage to the hull but lots of water below decks and a greater appreciation of Sam's built-in flotation.  Everything repaired or replaced.  But I need some advice about a fair asking price for an '84 Rhodes.  I have attached a list of some of Uhuru II's features.  She is at the Holiday Marina, Mayo, Maryland, in slip C22.  The sails are old but serviceable.  Any pricing suggestions would be appreciated!

Lloyd