[Rhodes22-list] Weather and lee helm

Jim Connolly jbconnolly at comcast.net
Sat Aug 14 22:44:26 EDT 2004

Ahoy list,

While out today in some gusts, I buried the rail a couple of times and
decided it would be a great time to try reefing and balancing the boat.  I
did not achieve balance.  What I did achieve was some pretty good lee helm
on starboard tack, and slightly less weather helm on port tack.  It wasn't
my imagination.  I trimmed the sails in and out on both port and starboard
tack for several tacks, and it was repeatable.  The traveler was on the
centerline.  Foot of mainsail was tight.  Topping lift was loose.  Jib was
furled to about 100% (clew just aft of forward lower shrouds).

All the way home, I tried to visualize what might cause this.  My intuition
fails me.  Any ideas?

Jim Connolly
s/v Inisheer
'85 recycled '03