[Rhodes22-list] Weather and lee helm

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Sat Aug 14 23:18:48 EDT 2004

Jim,

Does your furler furl clockwise or counter-clockwise?  Is is correct that it
unfurls counter-clockwise (looking down from the masthead)?  If so, could
the smoother leeward side of the furled headsail on starboard tack present a
more powerful headsail and thus more lee helm?  On port tack, with the
windshadow of the furled luff casting back many inches on the leeward side
of the Genoa and disrupting the leeward flow over the sail,  would not the
sail then develop less drive -- and thus less lee helm?

??

PT