[Rhodes22-list] Trailer Brakes

Dan Bodnar dsbodnar at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 14 23:22:06 EDT 2004

Saroj,
I use an electric brake controller and have it set up with a large heavy
duty Velcro pad so that I can remove it easily from the vehicle.  I had to
do was splice in a connector so that it was easily removable. The brake
controllers are generic, some are easier to use and install than others. If
you entertain going the Velcro route then you will need a brake controller
that doesn't have to mounted in a specific orientation relative to the
vehicle.  I can't speak to pricing, but the following website has a good FAQ
and broader selection than many shops.

www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=E&Category_Cod
e=BC

Also, I read about, but haven't seen a brake controller that can be mounted
on the trailer and uses the brake light signal to activate the brakes.  The
disadvantage to this is that you can't easily make in cabin adjustments for
temperature and changes in load, as you can with a cabin installed
controller.  I guess I'd also worry about it getting immersed in water.
Here in Great Lakes, electric boat trailer brakes are somewhat more
prevelant than in coastal areas and I've met more than one person who swears
by them.