[Rhodes22-list] Ah! That Todd

ed kroposki ekroposki at charter.net
Mon Aug 23 10:29:12 EDT 2004

Todd:
	Fantastic drawing.
	Now you and Roger should get together and write a technical detail
manual for the Rhodes 22.  Sell it to Stan so he can have all his ideas
documented.  Then he could send it free upon request for $100 postage and
handling.
	Way to go.
Ed K

-----Original Message-----From: rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org
[mailto:rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org] On Behalf Of Julie
ThorndycraftSent: Sunday, August 22, 2004 11:23 PMTo: The Rhodes 22 mail
listSubject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Side stay QuestionTodd,Thank you for the
drawing, it's perfect.For those of you who were worried about my well-being,
a thank you to you aswell. With the help of a friend, we threw a rope around
the mast above thespreaders and used this line to pull the boat to port.
It's amazing howquickly the boat will heel when a gust comes along and how
unwilling it isto heel by artificial forces!Anyhow, we did get it heeled
over enough to make the difference - took alittle adjusting of the starboard
side dock lines so they weren't fightingthe effort but it did work. My
friend volunteered to go up the ladder (healso likes to go up masts), and I
stepped back and let him go for it. He gotthe end piece back into the
spreader and secured it with tape for the timebeing.We will implement the
more elaborate solution when we drop the mast nextweek for Blue Loon's Labor
Day weekend adventure - Lake Gogebic, UpperPeninsula, Michigan.Julie-----
Original Message ----- From: "Todd Tavares" <sprocket80 at mail.comTo: "The
Rhodes 22 mail list" <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.orgSent: Sunday, August 22,
2004 9:45 PMSubject: RE: [Rhodes22-list] Side stay Question    Julie,
I do not know if your spreader is the same as mine but, there is    a
two-part plastic fitting that is hand press fit into the end of the
spreader tube.   The main part is pressed into the spreader.  There is    a
groove cut into this part as well as the mating cap.   The spreader    is
laid in this groove and secured by the cap using two screws.  Your
spreader boot covers all of this.       Stan (I think) suggested drilling
and putting a screw through the    spreader tube and into the fitting to
secure it in the spreader ---    since yours is obviously loose.   I have
made a drawing to clarify.  I    hope it is the same set-up as on your boat
and helps.    Todd    PS.  Ed knows I can't resist making a drawing.  :^D
----- Original Message -----    From: "ed kroposki"    Date: Sun, 22 Aug
2004 06:52:47 -0400    To: "'The Rhodes 22 mail list'"    Subject: RE:
[Rhodes22-list] Side stay Question     Julie:         I do not recall seeing
this question before. I am replying to let     you know the question is out
here.     I do not know of anyway to get the stay back in the spreader
without     lowering the mast. Do you have the GBI mast crane? If you do,
the    mast can     be easily lowered over water. However, I am not sure
that the    problem can     be permanently fixed over water. Until I see all
the parts, I would    assume     that something is broken and needs to be
fixed. It might be    necessary to     fix the spreader and washer.     Can
someone with their mast already down see what Julie will need to     do?
Does anybody have a picture. Todd have you got a picture and    solution
to this?         Ed K             -----Original Message-----     From:
rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org
[mailto:rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org] On Behalf Of Julie
Thorndycraft     Sent: Saturday, August 21, 2004 6:39 PM     To: The Rhodes
22 mail list     Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Sidestay Question             Just
got back in from sailing and sometime during the afternoon, the    port
sidestay popped out of the spreader. I have two questions:     1) Any
suggestions on how to get it back in without dropping the    mast?     2)
How can I keep it from popping out again - I seem to recall that    it was
loose the last time we had the mast down but I don't know how it is
secured     inside the spreader arm. Can someone educate me on this?
Thanks,     Julie     s/v Blue Loon
spreader end.JPG Type: image/jpeg Size: 45149 bytes Desc: notavailable
Url:http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attch/200408/22/spreader