[Rhodes22-list] cockpit bench seat reinforcement

Lou Rosenberg lsr3 at MAIL.nyu.edu
Tue Aug 24 12:07:03 EDT 2004

RHODIES;
  Seeking advice on reinforcing the cockpit seats in my R22 ( 1981) .
The boat is now secure on is trailer in its winter home in Bklyn
thanks to Rick Centalaonza, a boat hauler ( Coastal)
  and some good boat yard folks in Pt Jeff and Bklyn.
  My stb side cracks when I walk or sit  on it, but is not broken.
The glass work underneath is brittle and the wood stiffeners are
missing .
  I have Casey's book on HULL & DECK repair and plan to stiffen and
support the entire length of both benches by epoxing a dowel in the
groove and then adding a triangular support made of pine ( since its
not going to be seen much , teak is overkill, I believe).  The
triangular support would need to be epoxied to the floor underneath
the seats. I plan to space the  2 supports on each side  equally.

  Has anyone had weakening of their bench seating due to damage or
weathering and age of the glass?
  I am wondering how the epoxied supports would react to the flexing
of the boat later on as she is under strain.  Would it make sense to
not epoxy the supports and just wedge them down with rubber mat under
the wood?
  **
  Any advice appreciated !
  thanks