[Rhodes22-list] Why is the R22 Not Reviewed?

stan stan at rhodes22.com
Wed Aug 25 15:18:45 EDT 2004

A few points for the record (but don't quote me).

1.    Re Media Recognition:  Julie and Bill have it right. The Media
recognize the boat's eminence - primarily because of its famous naval
architect - but simply cannot feature it.  When Soundings wanted to do an
article on the Rhodes I told the writer that the editor would not accept it
because we do not advertise and we understood that policy of not pushing a
Rhodes at the expense of say a Hunter who does advertise.  So the writer
said he would do the article on the characters behind the scenes and
anything about the boat would then sneak into Soundings print.  The same
when "Sail" wanted to do an article about trailing.  They used pictures of
the Rhodes to compliment the story but since we did not advertise they
played down the brand name.... and we understood that need.

2.    Re Practical Sailor Review:  I think someone has the notion that
Practical Sailor did their review without sailing the boat.  The PS review
is another story but for now let us touch one aspect:  Before Practical
Sailor wrote their unwanted review, they test sailed the Rhodes at the Miami
Boat Show with show boat prospects on board on a wild 18 to 20 knot day.
When the reviewer got off the boat the only thing he said to us was "maybe I
should buy one of these" and disappeared. The review was published about a
half year later.

3.    Re Contacting GB:  Most owners know they can call me at home in the
middle of the night (no other time of course) send e-mails and faxes or come
visit the plant and go for a demo sail and grand "tour" - even stay over in
the plant guest room at no charge. What we do ask is that everyone
understand why we cannot socialize at boat shows.  They cost us a fortune
and allow us a very limited time to get our story across to mobs of show
visitors.  So shows are not the venue for our going into owners own
questions or going out for a fun sail just because we are sitting there with
a boat ready to go..  Everyone is welcome to visit us at shows - but until
after show hours, bear in mind why we are there and pick up a brush to paint
rosy pictures for new prospects. .

stan/gbi