[Rhodes22-list] Cockpit Bench Seat Reinforcement - The RestOf The Story

Grayson/Ena Lynn eagl at bigfoot.com
Thu Aug 26 15:25:43 EDT 2004

> additional wood on the floor will allow me to add a netting for
> storage of sailing items like PFDs and the like.

You want to think really carefully about this, especially about any construction that is not easily removable when you find out you don't like it.  One of the very few chronic miseries I suffered with Pilot Star was due to the fact that on some (?) boats in the water, with normal weight distribution of anchor, batteries, water tank, gas, motor, etc., the cockpit sole actually slopes forward, not aft to the self-bailing drains.

As a consequence, rainwater and the green scum that follows would collect on the cockpit sole and in the molded drain channels, outboard under the forward end of the seats.  The weekly chore of lying prone in the cockpit trying to sponge out this putrid mess before going sailing did absolutely nothing to, as the lady says, "enhance the experience".

The same thing happened, for the same reason, at the forward outboard corners of the seats, until in desperation I drilled holes to allow the water to drain to the floor.  Before that, some would drain through the centerboard pennant tube as intended, but never enough.

In the space under the seats I used the obligatory Rubbermaid bins for stowing dock lines, fenders and other gear quick to hand, but stowing anything in the open under the seats, unprotected from the Carolina climate, would be unthinkable.  On my boat, the bins would slide out under one end of the seats but not the other, suggesting that someone might have thought about sloping the cockpit to drain properly, but never finished the job.

For the "new model" R22 the whole subject of cockpit form and function should be revisited with a clean design sheet, including a flat floor grating for the laz.  Until then...

<G>