[Rhodes22-list] Cockpit Bench Seat update

Lou Rosenberg steadilsr at verizon.net
Sat Aug 28 10:31:55 EDT 2004

  Roger,
   I must have exaggerated the amount of fibers I observed which were
loose underneath.
  The cracking was coming from the underside of the stb seat hitting the
liner by the laz.
   I m confident it needs no work except for replacing the small amt of
wd along the inside of the seat running the entire length.
   thanks so much for your advice.
  Now I am onto the replacement of the portlights as duly noted
yesterday.
  peace
Lou
On Thursday, August 26, 2004, at 01:16 PM, Roger Pihlaja wrote:

> Lou,
>
> If there are visible cracks or other flaws in the FRP composite
> underneath
> the cockpit seat; then, you will have to do something ASAP.  Failure
> of an
> FRP composite structure is a cumulative damage sort of phenomena.
> Every
> time you step on the seat & hear a "crack", that is the sound of some
> glass
> fibers snapping or the bond between some of the glass fibers and the
> polyester resin substrate failing.  FRP composites do not "heal"
> themselves.
> Under moderate overload, they just progressively fail one fiber or one
> fiber/substrate bond at a time until the remaining structure is too
> weak to
> support the load.  Then these materials fail catastrophically in a
> sudden
> brittle manner.  If the cracks are visible on the surface; then, you
> may be
> able to reinforce the structure by injecting unthickened epoxy into the
> cracks with a syringe.  Have someone stand on the weak spot while you
> inject
> the epoxy as deeply into the opened surface cracks as possible.  Then,
> have
> your assistant get off the seat.  Repeating this several times will
> work the
> epoxy up into the FRP composite structure out to the tip of the
> developing
> crack.  After the epoxy hardens inside of the FRP composite structure,
> this
> should arrest the crack development.  However, you will still need to
> reinforce the cockpit seats or this sort of failure will start occuring
> again.
>
> Roger Pihlaja
> S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

>>> d = beam deflection (inch)
>>> P = point load in center of beam (lb)
>>> L = unsupported beam length (inch)
>>> E = modulus of elasticity of beam material of construction
>>> (lb/inch^2)