[Rhodes22-list] Hitch and Tongue

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sun Aug 29 17:53:14 EDT 2004

Easier method:

There is a $10 plastic device with magnetic bases on 2 parts, and sleeves to make the 2 Parts (one for hitch, one for ball) tall enough to see, short enough (disassembled) to store.  Plastic V on top of one piece.  Line up the straight piece in the center of the V piece.

You don't really need things like these once you understand where things are in relation to what you can see from the driver's seat.  You line things up visually from the driver's seat; stop the car; get out and walk back to see how close you are, and whether you have lined things up properly, keep getting out and reinspecting as you get closer and closer--note also which way your front wheel is turned when getting back into the car or truck.  Leave the front door open and look at the ground as you back up for the final foot or two so you can see how far you are travelling.  When you get close put the height of the hitch 1/4" below the height of the ball.  When you back into the trailer the hitch will ride up on the ball, and then drop right onto the ball.

Stop.  Retract the jack wheel and swivel it up.  Connect the chains, brakes, lights, lock and double check the hitch connection with your finger, and then by lifting on it.  Drive off.

Once you get the hang of this you can do it repeatedly with a single exit from the car before the hitch mates with the ball, and a single exit after.  Don't try to do it without checking unless you really know what you are doing.

Bill Effros