[Rhodes22-list] The Great Trailer Debate

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Wed Dec 1 15:10:44 EST 2004

Jerry,

I just went from a single axel to a tandem this year.  In comparing the
measurements of my old single axel to the measurements provided by Todd, and
also in the many discussions here on the list over the last couple years on
this subject, I determined that either my single axel had to be moved back
about six inches or I had to add a second axel to the rear of the first.  I
opted for the latter.

Before, with the single axel, I always had a hard time getting the boat far
enough ahead on the trailer when retrieving.  In order to get enough tongue
weight, I had to remove the outboard and lash it on the trailer tongue,
remove the rudder assembly and pack boat gear farther forward.  Without all
that rigmarole, the boat would fishtail and sway dangerously at a mere 45
mph.

Now, with the tandem, I just load the boat onto the trailer the way "it
wants to" and off I go.  No redistribution of the weight, e.g., motor,
rudder, etc. and no more fishtailing!  Although I haven't taken any long
trips since I had the trailer surgery, but I can easily tell the difference
in the tracking at that same 45 or 50 mph.  I'm very pleased.

I live in Minnesota where the law requires breaks on trailers exceeding 3000
lbs.  (The R22 and trailer weigh approx. 4300 + or - depending on onboard
gear.) The law varies from state to state, but I recommend breaks for anyone
pulling a Rhodes22.  I had electric breaks installed on my trailer.  I
already had the hook up on my vehicle so it was a no-brainer.  Not that the
install is that big of a deal, but I prefer this to hydraulic (serge)
breaks.  Serge breaks will not help you backing down or up a steep ramp.
Many, however, have serge breaks that they are satisfied with.

The advantages of the tandem should be obvious:  better load distribution
and far better tracking on the road.  Also, if you have a blowout, you still
have three tires left.  The only advantage to having a single axel trailer
over a double is that it's easier to move the empty trailer around by hand,
whereas the double doesn't pivot as easily.  I suppose I could also say that
the single axel is less expensive.

Hope this helps,

Slim