[Rhodes22-list] Was Testing Attachment: Zodiac Magic

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Thu Dec 2 14:08:15 EST 2004

Jim,

We use a C-Level model: CLEVE#DTB01-W towing bridle and 50 feet of New
England Rope 7/16 inch OD polypropylene core, double braid tow rope.  Look
in the West Marine Master Catalog, 2004 on page 237 for both of these
products.  The polypropylene core tow rope is nice because the nylon outer
jacket has a nice soft hand, doesn't kink or hockle, and it protects the
polypropylene core from solar UV damage.  There is sufficient polypropylene
in this rope to permit it to float, which is nice for a tow rope in order to
keep it up out of the prop & rudder.  We double up the tow rope at the
plastic float on the towing bridle using a ring hitch & run a line to each
of the lifting eyes on the transom of Dynamic Equilibrium.  The towing
bridle is nice because it comes with high quality stainless steel snap
shackles, HD nylon tow straps, & a plastic float to keep the whole affair at
the surface.  If you had to purchase the pieces/parts separately, you
probably couldn't duplicate the towing bridle yourself for less than $40.
Hopefully, your new Zodiac has a pair of HD towing eyes built into the hull
on the port and starboard sides just aft of the bow.  This "X" configuration
on the tow line makes the dingy track straight & true no matter what the
conditions.

For close quarters maneuvering, we pull the inflatable in close on the side
opposite to the dock we are pulling up to.  Naturally, we pull in all the
tow line when we do this.  We only let out the tow line once we are underway
in open water.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium