[Rhodes22-list] Biological Centerboard Fouling/Jamming - A Serious Issue?

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Fri Dec 3 15:49:03 EST 2004

Hi All,

Richard Smith has brought up the issue of fouling on the centerboard & inside the centerboard trunk as being a potentially serious maintenance issue on Rhodes 22's.  It is apparently only a serious issue for those of us that sail in severly fouling waters, like down south.

I've been a member of the Rhodes List about as long as anyone.  In all that time, I can't recall anyone except Richard ever mentioning biological fouling as being a prime cause of jamming the centerboard up inside in the trunk.  According to Richard, it's a fairly significant maintenance issue for folks in his area that sail centerboard boats. (Rockaway Inlet?)

If there really is an issue here, it should be more widely known.  How widespread is the problem?  How are other folks managing to deal with the problem?  It may even rate its own FAQ topic.

So, I'm asking all Rhodes 22 sailors, what has been your experience with biological fouling & subsequent jamming of your centerboards?  Please don't be shy about responding.  This is the sort of discussion the Rhodes List was created to encourage.  If you sail in warm water & haven't experienced the problem; then, tell us where you sail.  Perhaps the problem is very localized.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium