[Rhodes22-list] Biological Centerboard Fouling/Jamming - A Serious Issue?

Jim White jdwhite at utpa.edu
Fri Dec 3 15:08:47 EST 2004

Thanks for bringing this up Roger. You might recall that my centerboard was
stuck in the trunk last summer, and it took quite a bit of effort to scrape
out all of the fouling mass in order to get it to lower. Most of the
fouling organisms were gooseneck barnacles (Balanus sp.), oyster spat
(Crassostrea virginica), and Bryozoans. This fouling resulted under the
previous owners watch, so I cannot comment on the time it took to achieve
the condition. I was unaware of it as the boat sat on a trailer during it's
overhaul, and the centerboard was not able to be accessed from the outside.
I never did pull off the CB Cap.

Within the next several weeks (time permitting) I plan to lay the boat over
in the clear water near the island and assess the condition again. I will
take some pictures with the Nikonos and post them (if it's possible to get
a view in there), along with any commentary. I haven't done any maintenance
to this area since July, and don't plan to haul the boat till deep winter
(maybe around March) in order to bottom paint. Currently the CB is
partially down, I have not exercised it in awhile (other than plowing over
a few shoals).
jw
Jim White
Le Menagerie