[Rhodes22-list] Biological Centerboard Fouling/Jamming - A Serious Issue?

ed kroposki ekroposki at charter.net
Fri Dec 3 17:34:10 EST 2004

Roger,
	I am not aware of a centerboard fowling problem in this part of the
country.  I just pulled my boat out two weeks ago.  It was in the water
since February.  Warm soupy water all summer.  We grow red algae around
here.  I have not noticed any problem.  I use the local paint which is the
same as Rummy, Interlux.
	I was out on the North Carolina Coast last week.  Barnacles seem to
be a big problem.  I do not know how long the boats were in the water, but
they had little sea shells all over them.  Maybe they were little muscles?
We need Jim, the Texas biologist to explain.  I could see a centerboard
getting jammed quickly.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
Addendum:
	Back in the 1800s, the Tates Watch Company of Massachusetts
wanted to produce other products and, since they already made the
cases for pocket watches, decided to market compasses for the
pioneers traveling west.
	It turned out that although their watches were of finest quality,
their compasses were so bad that people often ended up in Canada or Mexico
rather than California. This, of course, is the origin of the  expression,
"He who has a Tates is lost!"