[Rhodes22-list] Song reference help--Bill?

Wally Buck tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 4 09:21:24 EST 2004

Slim,

>From Monster Hash to church songs!

This is what I gleaned from a few sites -

Paul Simon's “American Tune,” borrows directly from the main chorale of
Bach's “St. Matthew's Passion.” Simon's version quotes from the tune, but
adds some other melodic material and of course puts his own spin on it.

Originally it was hymn by H.L. Hassler (1564-1612) considerably before
Bach's time. Bach harmonized it. The English title is "O Sacred Head Sore
Wounded",

There are many translations of the original German "O Haupt voll Blut und
Wunden", actually translated by by P Gerhardt from the even more original
Latin "Salve caput cruentatum."

Wally - Off to the lake!