[Rhodes22-list] Song reference help--Bill?

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Sat Dec 4 13:42:39 EST 2004

Wally,

I sang Monster Hash last night and it went over really well but nobody was
laughing harder than I.  Thanks again.

American Tune is one of those that just gets stuck in my head.  It strikes
me as a good one for a 9/11 remembrance.  Revisit the lyrics in that context
and see if you don't agree:

Many's the time I've been mistaken
And many times confused
Yes, and I've often felt forsaken
And certainly misused
But I'm alright, I'm alright
I'm just weary to my bones
Still, you don't expect to be bright and bon vivant
So far away from home
So far away from home

I don't know a soul who's not been battered
I don't have a friend who feels at ease
I don't know a dream that's not been shattered
Or driven to its knees
Oh but it's alright, it's alright
For we've lived so well so long
Still, when I think of the road we've traveling on
I wonder what's gone wrong
I can't help it--I wonder what's gone wrong

And I dreamed I was dying
I dreamed that my soul rose unexpectedly
And looking back down at me
Smiled reassuringly
And I dreamed I was flying
And high up above my eyes could clearly see
The Statue of Liberty
Sailing away to sea
And I dreamed I was flying

We come on the ship they call the Mayflower
We come on the ship that sailed the moon
We come in the age's most uncertain hour
And sing an American tune
Oh but it's alright, it's alright, it's alright
You can't be forever blessed
Still, tomorrow's going to be another working day
And I'm trying to get some rest
That's all--I trying to get some rest