[Rhodes22-list] Insurance and Registration

P&M Beals beals at rci.rutgers.edu
Sun Dec 5 20:00:09 EST 2004

Jack, Good luck with your boat.  I own a 1986 hull Rhodes 22 which was
recycled in '02.  I haven't owned it too long as you will see below, but we
did get 6 sails in this fall. We have a lot to learn but we had a good time,
our kids loved it, and I am eager to have a lot more sailing in 2005.
We live in NJ, docked the boat in Staten Island, sailed on Raritan Bay.
I haven't decided for sure where home port will be next spring.

I  registered our newly purchased boat in Sept. in NJ.
I had to pay my 6% sales tax on the boat and trailer.  It was relatively
easy, not very time consuming at the particular NJ DMV office I used
(Somerville).  I  just looked up the cost.  $ 127.70 gave us a boat title,
boat regsitration and trailer registration.  The trailer is not required to
be inspected in NJ.

I wish I could report that everything in NJ state govt. is smoothly
operating.  One of our former Gov. McGreevey's projects was to improve the
DMV operations.
When I went online the first time I did not feel I got all the info. I
needed such as did I have to present the former owner's title at time of
registration or would a bill of sale suffice etc.
With a great deal of dread I called the 800 number expecting to be on hold
for 15-30 minutes.  Much to my surprise and delight I got a live customer
service rep on the first try. I thought she had answered my questions
satisfactorily.  Once at the actual DMV office however, I learned the
information she had given  had been incorrect! For example she told me that
NJ DMV does not issue titles for boats.  They do, they did, I have mine now
that was sent to me within a month after I got my boat registered.
Also what I would have to present at the time of registration was not what
in fact was the practice at the DMV office.

Here is what it turned out I needed:
the title as held by the previous owner
my driver's license
I had with me a bill of sale (not notarized) but I recall if I just swore on
the application to the actual sale price, that would have sufficed.

The registrations are good for one year.

The online site for DMV isn't too bad. That is where you get your info on
boat registrations.

Good luck.

Phyllis
Whisper