[Rhodes22-list] Insurance and Registration

Razgaitis Richard raz01 at mac.com
Mon Dec 6 09:31:59 EST 2004

I echo Mary Lou's comments and am doing the reverse of you:  I live in
NJ and sail in MD.  For the same reasons as Mary Lou gave, I felt I had
to register the boat in MD, and paid MD sales tax (and of course
registration) b/c it was previously registered in SC.

I registered the trailer in NJ, b/c of residency, but could have
registered it in MD; as near as I can tell, it's your option on the
trailer.  If you do register the trailer in NJ you have to have title,
which I did not have b/c the SC previous owner had never titled in SC.
Fortunately I was able to go back to the previous previous-owner who
was in NC and was able to get assign the title to me.  In SC,
apparently, lots of folks do not title their trailer.

NJ DMV is not a very user friendly place, tho there are some nice folks
there that try their best.  FL, for example, has a waiting room where
you can sit and read, as opposed to stand on line in NJ, and then are
assigned to one or another agent, and there are many as opposed to NJ
where there is often ONE, and then you get to sit there with them just
like you were someone important as they work the paperwork, whereas in
NJ you stand before what looks like they are speaking from a homeless
shelter with a small cut out opening that's set for the height of
someone about 5'2" and if there is anything amiss in what you prepared
it's back to the end of the line buddy.  I would contrast FL's
registration with NJ's as a fine restaurant vs. the Soup Nazi, except
the Soup Nazi has really good soup.

raz