[Rhodes22-list] Restoring a Rhodes 22

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Wed Dec 8 08:32:30 EST 2004

Luis,

Welcome aboard!  Dynamic Equilibrium, our Rhodes 22, is a 1976 model.  So, I
can probably help you with a lot of your questions.

Regarding the used pieces/parts you are looking for, the only thing I have
is an OEM roller furler W/O the sail.  You may have it for the price of S&H
from Sanford, MI  48657.  We have owned Dynamic Equilibrium since 1987.
Over the years, when something needed replacing, it was always because the
old part had worn out, rotted away, fell overboard, etc.  We either bought a
new part from GBI, some other vender, or built our own.  In each case, we
junked the old part once we were done with it & most other owners probably
follow the same policy.  I suspect that GBI is going to be the only source
of used pieces/parts.  But, you never know, you might get lucky.

Regarding the head, just about any porta-potti unit will do very nicely.  We
like the SeaLand M/N: 311196502.  It holds 5-1/2 gallons, has it's own
separate water tank & holding tank, has provision for deck pum-out and comes
with stainless steel hold-down brackets.  The seating surface is a little
larger than typical porta-pottis, thus making using it a little more like
using the toilet at home.

Regarding the traveller assembly, I presume your boat came with the old
style cable traveller.  My recommendation is to junk it & upgrade to the
newer bar style traveller which is hung between the double backstays.  You
will need to replace the double backstays to implement this upgrade.  But,
the newer bar style traveller works so much better that there is no
comparison & the backstay mounting will get it up out of the cockpit.  The
advertised feature regarding the ability of the backstay hung traveller to
absorb the shock load of a sudden uncontrolled gibe really does work as
advertised.  I have no idea why more boats don't use this truely innovative
traveller design.

The rudder & the centerboard are identical on our old boats.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium