[Rhodes22-list] 14. Restoring a Rhodes 22 (Luis Guzman)

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Wed Dec 8 19:50:47 EST 2004

Luis,

The enclosed picture links will show you some pictures of the mast
compression post on different Rhodes 22's.  Dynamic Equilibrium's mast
compression post is directly under the mast step.

http://www.rhodes22.org/rhodes/pics/Galley-3.jpg

http://www.rhodes22.org/rhodes/pics/rummy3.jpg

http://www.rhodes22.org/rhodes/pics/VistaJay4.jpg

http://www.rhodes22.org/rhodes/pics/Berth1.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't have a drawing of the mast compression post.

Luis, your boat is the 2nd older Rhodes 22 to come onto the list for
restoration without a mast compression post in just the last couple of
weeks.  I wonder what's up with that?  The cabin roof structure is
definitely not strong enough to support the mast load without the mast
compression post to transfer the load down to the keel.  FYI, do not try to
step the mast until you install some sort of mast compression post or you
may do some serious damage to the cabin roof.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium