[Rhodes22-list] Re: Rhodes wanabes and List Lurkers

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Fri Dec 10 04:25:41 EST 2004

I'll take a stab at answering that one. It's not definitive by any
means, since I only observed one instance, but I think it makes sense.

My brother got his Rhodes 22, and probably 70% of the interior wood was
rotted beyond use. It was all still there, but any real pressure, and it
would obviously fall apart. The first thing he did was dismantle it all
to use as templates to rebuild it. My guess is it took him 3-4 hours to
remove EVERYTHING except the main bulkhead and the compression post.

Fortunately, he had the money to buy quality marine grade plywood
(Okume), and the time to replace it all.

So, I wonder how many people get these boats, decide to replace the
interior, tear it all out, and then lose interest before they finish?

Herb Parsons

S/V O'Jure
  1976 O'Day 25

S/V Reve de Papa
  1971 Coronado 35

>>> cen09402 at centurytel.net 12/10/2004 4:07:23 AM >>>
Stan,

We do seem to be blessed with an unusually high number of "project"
boats
this Christmas season don't we?

Do you have any idea how many boats from the pre GBI built era might
still
be out there?

I don't understand why so many boats seem to be coming on the market
with
their interiors gutted.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium