[Rhodes22-list] Re: Rhodes wanabes and List Lurkers

Ben Schultz benonvelvetelvis at theskinnyonbenny.com
Fri Dec 10 22:31:51 EST 2004

Here's my advice to would-be boat builders:  First, get a recycled
Rhodes.  It's true that you want a sailboa to sail.  Second, pick
another boat that you might like to have, buy some plans, clear out some
garage space, and start working on it.  I've got the shell of a cedar
strip canoe hogging the space in my one-car garage, much to the
admiral's display.  It gives me something to do at night when I'm not in
the mood to sit around the house or be around people.  It gives me great
pleasure to head out to the garage, light a cigar, fix a drink, and go
connect some wood or sand a surface smooth.  In fact, if I ween't
waiting on an order of fiberglass cloth, I would probably be out there now.

The beauty of this is that there is no hurry or stress related to the
project boat.  When I get busy at work or with a household project, the
canoe might go untouched for a couple of months.  In fact, I started
cutting out the molds almost two years ago.  It's a fun hobby.  In fact,
it makes me envy Stan, getting to build boats all day.  I guess every
man's hobby is someone else's job.

Give it a whirl,
Ben