[Rhodes22-list] Re: Rhodes wanabes and List Lurkers

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Sat Dec 11 06:04:07 EST 2004

Ben,

Like the Walgreen's commercials say, "In a perfect world..."  But, even when
I was making $K90+/year as an engineer, there were other priorities like
saving for retirement, paying off my house, saving for my kid's college,
etc. that precluded the expense of simply going out and buying a new or
recycled Rhodes 22.  We all make choices in our lives.  I bought an older
Rhodes 22, worked on it, my sons grew up with the boat, & we've had a lot of
wonderful adventures with it.  I suspect all these project boats have more
to do with limited family resources than a desire to rebuild a boat.  Yet,
they all want to go sailing someday.  If the boat can be a family project
along the way; then, so much the better.  Forgive me sir; but, for you to
recommend to these folks that they should go & buy a recycled Rhodes 22 and
then satisfy their desire to work on a boat by building something like an
epoxy cedar strip canoe in their garage strikes me as incredibly
insensitive.  Good grief man, can't you read between the lines & see what's
going on here?

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium