[Rhodes22-list] Eagle Training Its Young?

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Thu Dec 16 22:21:31 EST 2004

I witnessed something totally cool this afternoon.  I was driving west on US-10 going over the Sanford Lake causeway.  When I glanced towards the right (north), I saw 2 bald eagles about 75 yeards out on the lake sitting on top of the ice.  I don't see too many bald eagles around here & I immediately pulled off to the side of the expressway to observe them.  One of the eagles was clearly a mature specimen with the well defined white head feathers.  The other eagle was immature, with mottled white & brown head feathers.  They were sitting on the ice apparently sharing some dead critter.  From a distance, I would guess it was a rabbit.  The two eagles were both tearing at it freely & chowing down wothout any apparent animosity towards each other.  This really surprised me since bald eagles are supposed to be lone hunters & are not noted for sharing their kills.  I'm wondering if I was witnessing a parent giving its offspring a hunting lesson?  Anyway, after feasting together on this critter for another 10 minutes, the two bald eagles ate everything but a patch of red on the ice & then took off together flying north up Sanford Lake.  I wish I'd had a camera with me!

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium