[Rhodes22-list] Eagle Training Its Young?

Steve rhodes2282 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 17 08:54:48 EST 2004

Excellent story, Roger.  I guess that why I like to
hunt so much.  Get to see a lot of wildlife in the
woods.  Like on opening morning of bow season; I had a
scunk come directly under my tree stand and play
around under it for 30 minutes.  Talk about being
still.  I didn't want that thing knowing I was up the
tree.  It finally walk off without spraying.  Last
month during gun season; I had 3 raccoons come to my
deer feeder and eat for over 45 minutes.  They just
stuff themselves on corn.  Even had a bobcat come
though one day while I was hunting on one of my
stands.  Of course the highlight of the season was
when a 8 point came out on my food plot right at dark.
 It would have been a 10 but the buck had 2 of it
points broke off.  You could tell that it was a
dominate buck in that area.  I had to harvest that
buck.  Dress out 175 pounds of meat.  I harvested
another buck 4 days later but it was suppose to be a
doe.  At 125 yards, I thought that I had 3 does in
front of me; I let them pass hopeing that a big buck
was trailing them.  After they passed & there wasn't a
buck trailing them; I got on my doe call & called them
back.  To my supprise the one that I took ended up
being a button buck.  The hair on it head was longer
than it horns.  I hated that but it happens.  It dress
out about 80 pounds.  Now all I have left is a doe
tag.  I still need to get me a turkey.  We have a lot
of turkey on our hunting lease.  I would have taken
one during October bow hunting when about 12 came out
on me one afternoon.  But I had a couple does feeding
at my feeder too & I was hoping for a buck to come
out.  I ended up letting them all pass. After the
holidays I plan on doing some more bow hunting & maybe
I will get lucky.
Steve