[Rhodes22-list] Politics, kinda sorta

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 21 21:03:41 EST 2004

We're back on politics?  I thought MJM put the brakes
on that until after New Years.  Anyway, while all you
kids think Rudolph and the Elves union is busy
delivering toys, us "freight dogs" are busting our
arses de-icing every takeoff, working fourteen hour
duty days, surfing the net on dial-up in hotel rooms,
and eating mysterious dead farm animals labeled
catering. Booh, hoo, hoo!  Here's a shot at Gates,
poor bastard.  Hope you enjoy roasting chestnuts by
the fire, like you've ever eaten a chesnut in your
life.  I'll be in a hotel in Jacksonville, FL (traded
the Manchester, NH trip so my appendages can come out
of hiding) on Christmas day.   The highs are supposed
to be in the 60's on New Years in middle TN.  I may
just have to start 2005 with a sail on the "CoraShen"
day one. Merry Christmas ya'll! Brad

New Microsoft Patch Blocks Firefox Downloads
by Scott Ott

(2004-12-19) -- Microsoft Corp. today released a new
security patch for its Internet Explorer (IE) web
browser which prevents users from accidentally or
intentionally downloading the new free, open-source
Firefox browser from The Mozilla Foundation.

"Firefox is a dangerous and contagious browser that
could seriously jeopardize marketshare," said an
unnamed Microsoft spokesman. "Unless consumers take
action to block Firefox, it could speed up web surfing
and return control of user computers to the users
themselves."

The source added that Internet Explorer is a superior
product because it allows computer experts, called
'hackers', to control your computer.

"Who would you rather have in control of your PC?" the
Microsoft spokesman asked rhetorically, "Do you want
an expert who knows every line of the IE code, or some
bozo like you who just walks into Circuit City and
buys the cheapest PC off the shelf?"

Although Microsoft recommends that IE users download
the anti-Firefox patch immediately, users who fail to
do so will get it anyway within two weeks through
Windows automatic updates.

Asked whether Mozilla's free email program,
Thunderbird, could also pose a threat to Microsoft's
Outlook, the spokesman said, "There is no competition
for Outlook. We have not heard of Thunderbird, and we
are not now preparing a patch to block it, which will
be released in January."