[Rhodes22-list] End of the turtle saga...for now...and then....

Jim White jdwhite at utpa.edu
Wed Dec 29 19:59:18 EST 2004

Hi folks
I have attached a composite of the release of most of the sea turtles which
stranded during the Christmas cold front that plowed through deep south
Texas, dropping water temperatures into the 40's. My wife and I babysat 20
of the critters since Christmas day. We lost two (they were already pretty
much dead when they were brought in). The rest came back really well, and
today we tagged and released the herd into the open Gulf of Mexico, about 5
miles offshore in 64 degree water. We're hoping that they all do well, and
no more big cold fronts hit this year.

We had just gotten back in when the phone rang, some fisherman had snagged
a small green turtle, so off we went to recover it. Right front flipper is
messed up...so tomorrow...off to the zoo for rehab. Never ends! Next stop
for us though is the local brew pub for a celebratory pitcher (or three).
Hoping to get some sailing in now, like, tomorrow....

BTW No Rummy, the 4th photo is not me retching my Flor de Cana....if you
look closely, you can see the outline of a big old green turtle carapace in
the water.

Cheers everybody, hope you're having a blessed holidays. We are.

jw

Jim White
Le Menagerie