[Rhodes22-list] Roller Furling System

Todd Tavares sprocket80 at mail.com
Sun Feb 1 23:17:20 EST 2004

   Keith,
       Here are a few excerpts from the archives.  There are probably
   more entries in other months and you will hopefully get more info from
   the great people here too!!

   Todd

   From the archives at
   [1]http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/
   for August 2003:
   Anyone using a CDI furler? What do you like or dislike about it?
   Jim Mowrey
   S/V Yankee Rose
   Jim,
   We have the CDI furler and are very happy with it. Originally we had
   some
   concerns that it would be more difficult to deal with since we trailer
   the
   boat frequently. We've not found that to be the case, we just use a
   piece of
   PVC pipe to support the end that hangs over the bow when it's on the
   trailer
   and it's been fine. We've had no issues with its functionality under
   sail or
   rigging.
   Julie Thorndycraft
   Excelsior, MN
   S/V Blue Loon
   If you plan to trailer a large amount, and do not plan on ever
   changing the
   sail, the GB furler is GREAT as it attaches right to the mast, making
   it
   quite easy to roll forward and attach to the bow pulpit. However,
   should you
   plan to not trailer so often, and would like the option to change
   sails, the
   CDI is the way to go. We have had experience with both. We now have
   the CDI,
   but as we trailer quite a bit, and do not change sails, the GBI furler
   is
   missed some for convenience.
   Will Barry
   Bulldog
   Jim,
   We have the CDI furler on Raven and have been very happy with it. It's
   been
   very reliable, requiring no maintenance - well, almost none - I
   believe CDI
   suggests that you rinse it with fresh water every 5 years.
   We've never had a problem changing sails, but we don't do it all that
   often - a couple of times a year, at most. We just got a new 135%
   genoa,
   which we used last spring and plan to use again this fall when it's
   usually
   more windy . We're currently using the 175% since winds tend to be
   lighter in
   summer.
   The halyard is just longer than the foil, allowing it to be tied at
   the base
   of the furler without excess line wrapping around the drum. When you
   change
   sails, you need to attach a messenger line to the halyard making it
   long
   enough to lower the sail completely and raise the new sail. Once the
   sail's
   up, you remove the messenger line and reattach the halyard to the
   furler.
   It's pretty easy, but we haven't tried changing sails while under way,
   so I
   can't speak to that.
   Mark Kaynor
   I have one. It's an excellent unit if you do not have occasion to
   change
   headsails frequently. The process of hoisting the sail and tensioning
   the
   luff is awkward.
   Richard Smith
   Jim,
   I've had a CDI for about three years and it has never failed to work
   flawlessly. My only complaint is that with the 175 genoa, the drum is
   not
   big enough to hold enough 1/4 inch furling line and I had to go with
   3/16
   which is a little tougher on the hands when furling.
   Dave Walker

   Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
   [2]http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup