[Rhodes22-list] Questions on outfitting R22 in Great Lakes

bchilds1 bchilds1 at peoplepc.com
Mon Feb 2 09:40:40 EST 2004

I sail my Rhodes in Lake Huron.  Since I am solo much of the time and I like
to relax on the seat (not on the rail) I reef a lot.
   1) The back stay/rod traveler works OK. You need to plan ahead if you
want to pull it in.
    2) I have a 150% head sail (I think) With winds around 12 knots I reef
it into where the window starts.  After that I reef the main.  I have the
boom roller type and have found that on a close haul the main sheet tension
will pull out the reef.  To correct this I have added a bracket/plate at the
gooseneck to prevent the boom from moving rearward and un-wrapping.
    3) No equipment failures.
    4) The Rhodes handles well in the Huron seas.  The shape of the hull
directs the spray outward and you are high enough off the water to keep most
of the spray out of the cockpit.
    5) I have a 9.9HP and this is adequate.  Of course you should have the
long shaft (20 in) You can not do much motoring in a heavy sea since the
prop will come out of the water.  Sometime the motor top will almost get
covered but I have had no problems.  I sail as close to the harbor entrance
as possible and the start the motor.  I motor for no more that 50 yards.  It
is up the Ausable River with about a 4 knot current.

I have my boat in Oscoda Michigan if you are ever in the area.  My best
sailing is up in Canada in what is called the North Channel.  I go there
with the Trailersailor Club.  It is usually about 30 sailboats.  Last year
there with 3 Rhodes on the cruise. For more information check out our web
site www.trailersailors.org  or email me for more information.