[Rhodes22-list] Keith's Questions on outfitting R22 in Great Lakes

Kroposki kroposki at innova.net
Mon Feb 2 10:03:02 EST 2004

Keith:
	There are a couple of Great Lakes Rhodies on the list.  Give
them time to reply, since they were parting over the weekend in Chicago.

	In regards to motors, there are several differing opinions.  In
addition, the weight of the 9 hp four cycle engines needs to be
seriously considered.  Understand that the four cycle is heavy.  I and
several others on the list use 8 hp two cycle motors.  My Tohatsu 8
weighs in at less than 60 pounds.  I can lift and move my motor by
myself.  It takes two people to safely move the 9 hp four cycle motors.
That weight on the left side transom has to be balanced.

	For long distance trailering, I take my motor off.  It
definitely affects trailer tongue weight.  This is an important
consideration for me.

	However, if you are getting a new boat from Stan with all the
bells and whistles including all controls on the tiller, then Stan uses
the nine hp motors.

	I have the 175 Genoa and the IMF.  This combination makes
sailing easy and versatile.  Nevertheless, if you want racing
performance, then consider the comments of people who want every second
of speed.  Keep in mind that skill may be the most distinguishing
factor, not Standard Vs IMF.

                  Ed K