Halftime surprise guest - some politics - was RE: [Rhodes22-list] STATUS

Mark Kaynor mark at kaynor.org
Tue Feb 3 16:51:51 EST 2004

Rik,

I agree. TiVo reported that Janet's "surprise guest star" was the most
watched rerun segment of the super bowl. It's all about the money - it IS
television, after all. And I like the "future profits" fine idea.
Unfortunately, I don't believe the gov't really wants to get serious about
limiting what's shown on TV.

At this point I could segue into the part about CBS and MTV being owned by
Viacom, who, along w/ Rupert Murdock managed to get congress to raise the
FCCs 35% market share cap to 39% so they could get in under the cap at their
current levels of ownership followed by a long rant about media ownership
and consolidation and information filtering, but I'll try to restrain
myself.

Instead, I'll just say www.moveon.org and
http://www.pbs.org/now/politics/mediaconsol.html

Rummy,

I agree about the quality of the show, too. Fortunately, I missed a lot of
it as my 84 yr. old dad was channel surfing in an attempt to view a
moveon.org ad that CBS refused to air.

Mark