[Rhodes22-list] Half Time was STATUS

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Wed Feb 4 16:35:24 EST 2004

I agree with Rummy that it was the worst HT show in memory.  The whole
presentation seemed like one big overblown sex show.  The content of every
song was nothing but sex.  I'm certainly not a prude (as some of you already
know) but I like to think of the HT show as a thumb-on-the-pulse of American
popular culture.  I also agree with Rik that there are big sales at hand
here, but I'm surprised at the lowest-common-denominator approach to this
presentation.  Not only that, but there was really nothing for the "older"
viewers to like--musically speaking.  I don't mean to sound like a snob but
if you're older than 22, you probably don't buy Nelly or Kid Rock CD's.  I
confess, I DO like some rap and I've always appreciated the rebellious
nature of young performers, but still I have to give it a thumbs down for
not providing what I expect in a HT show--universal appeal.  Note:  during
the Kid Rock segment, the broadcast went black for a couple seconds.  Was it
just my area or was that a censor?

And then came JJ's boob.  At first I thought, No Way!  That's not really her
bare breast is it?  That's gotta be a mock-up or prosthetic or some kind of
"theater thing."  I wasn't sure until I saw Rummy's post of the picture--and
keep the porn coming, Rummy!  8-)  I thought of Mick Jagger when he tore off
Tina Turner's skirt during a live performance on stage revealing a scant
pair of panties.  Pretty tame by today's standards but at the time it was
scandalous.  Both Jagger and Turner acknowledged that the stunt was NOT
planned, but who really knows?  Both JJ and JT had the same story--that it
was a case of "costume failure." Judging by the look on her face, my guess
is that it truly was an accident, but who really knows?  After all, she IS
an actress.  Then again, if her boob was supposed to flop out, it might as
well be decorated with a fancy (and dangerous/painful) looking piece of
hardware.  And besides, we all know that even bad press is sometimes good
press.  I can't help but question the timing, what with her brother's
troubles right now.  It'll be very interesting to see how this plays out.

Slim