[Rhodes22-list] UPS Sail Again

Mark Kaynor mark at kaynor.org
Tue Feb 10 11:09:57 EST 2004

Fred,

That block that's on the bail at the masthead was used with our asymmetric
spinnaker (www.kaynor.org/raven). We sold that sail to a friend after we
bought the UPS and haven't had a second thought about it - we like the UPS a
lot more than the asymmetric spinnaker. I didn't remove the block last year
because I thought I might eventually come up with a use for it and it wasn't
doing any harm. I may go ahead and remove it before we launch this spring,
tho.

The UPS halyard tensions the rope luff between the halyard restrainer and
the padeye on the deck - much like a staysail. You can't tack the Genoa with
the UPS raised w/o furling/unfurling the Genoa during the tack. And we
either tack the UPS or do a quick furl/unfurl when we gybe.

We've found that we can furl the UPS with the Genoa out, but can't furl the
Genoa with the UPS out unless we're running wing-on-wing. If they're on the
same side of the boat the belly of the UPS gets caught in the Genoa as it
rolls up.

When we're going from the Genoa to the UPS, we furl the Genoa before
unfurling the UPS. When we're going from the UPS to the Genoa, however, we
unfurl the Genoa first, then furl and drop the UPS so we're ready for the
next tack.

Mark