[Rhodes22-list] Boat nostalgia

Bob Weber ruba1811 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 10 21:24:58 EST 2004

Great Subject, I had a johnboat w/ a 6 hp everude (still working) which I
drove all over the Lake of the Ozarks.  I knew to pick up the gas can after
a couple hours to see how much "freedom" was left in the tank and bring it
home dry.  One of the few things which my dad did that was safety orientated
(we learned all our lessons the hard way) was to paint the boat "big bird"
yellow.  It probably was a result of extra house paint but still a good idea
and one of the few preventive measures I remember our family taking.  If you
know the Lake of the Ozarks now, it was much differnt in the 70s.  The only
limit to my adventures was the size of the fuel tank, nothing like today
where a boat under 30 foot is "unseaworhty".  Honest to goodness the lake is
so over populated that it has become a "washing machine" producing 3 to 5
foot seas all weekend long.  A 30+ foot searay was swamped while it idoled
out of "party cove" last year, sunk quicky trapping a young women asleep in
the bow.  It was definetly a differnt time - hard to believe it was the same
place.  Bob Weber