[Rhodes22-list] Yamaha 9.9 Water Pump Replacement

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Wed Feb 11 11:30:38 EST 2004

Roger Pihlaja wrote:
> The result, the only water pump I've ever had fail on any of my outboards in
> 25+ years of boating was the time when my younger son Gary ran the
> inflatable dingy & Honda 9.9 hp outboard up on the beach with the engine at
> full throttle.  The water pump impellor was burnt to a crisp!

Bet the impeller wasn't the only thing burnt to a crisp...

Periodic replacement of the pump parts has kept my '48
long shaft 5 hp Johnson Sea Horse running.  Had to replace
the mag once, and the lower shaft when I backed into a rock.
Otherwise, standard care.

/Bob Skinner

> Good luck!
>
> Roger Pihlaja
> S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

Robert Skinner, "Squirrel Haven"
9 Gateway Commons, Gorham, ME 04038-1331
Web site: http://www.SquirrelHaven.com
'87 West Wight Potter 15 HMS #1618 "Little Dipper"