[Rhodes22-list] Roger's reply on motor issues

Jay Friedland a.jayf at verizon.net
Thu Feb 12 10:20:35 EST 2004

Ed-
First, I've gone 14 years with no lost motor/mount in the same slip,
although I lost my recycled '86 R22 in back-to-back of storms in 1995.
Although Isabel wasn't a major problem this year, we had squalls with
upwards of 70 mph, weekly over the succeeding weeks in Oct.

The new '97 R22 has the extended mount, and this year I replaced a '98
Mercury 8hp (2 cycle) with the Yam 9.9. In ocean sailing/motoring, the
Merc with oversized prop could barely keep me facing into the waves,
and had no drive.  A sailing buddy, Rob Baldi has a '99 R22 with Yam
9.9 that easily plowed through 3-4 foot chop with no hesitation, as
sure-footed as rubber on dry pavement. For ocean and squall situations,
the Yam was a necessity.

The problem with the extra weight was highlighted this year with these
series of storms from the west. My slip is exposed across 4-5 miles
open water from the northwest and west. With 10 hurricane lines on the
boat, the boat handled the 6-7 foot swells ok, but the motor took off.
Originally, it was tied down to the mount rail and the stern rail tied
close to the transom. I have a security cable, and the additional
mooring lines prevented the motor from ever hitting the water.

The rollers from the '97 vintage motor mount trolley tore out. I
replaced the rollers by through-bolting them with 1/4-20 and fender
washers, etc. to the cast trolley. They tore out in the next storm-to
see 1/4" bolts sheared or twisted like pretzels was pretty amazing. To
finish off the season I used Rob's trolley which had some stress
fractures. It was off his boat as he had talked to Stan about replacing
it. Both are down at the factory for replacement now.

An obvious solution is to get into a more protected slip for the
off-season (reduced rates), and in season, make the motor more secure
in its vertical position, never tilted. In season, step one is to
better secure it to the motor mount rail which is extensively
reinforced to the transom with 10-12 bolts, and shows no sign of
giving, so far. The second solution would be the hoist, to lift it into
the cockpit and secure to the cockpit floor with hold-downs or padeyes.

Roger could best explain the forces of the 125 lb. weight attached to
the boat by the rollers or rails of the trolley, but it is significant.
I'm not sure the best way of trolley design, or the best way of
securing it to the cockpit floor. Unfortunately, no pictures, or
anything that would show a weakness in design, but I am open to all
suggestions (normally delayed a day or two on e-mails).

Thanks for follow-up on this.
Jay