[Rhodes22-list] Weather Forecasting

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Wed Feb 18 08:29:37 EST 2004

Slim,

The rest of this procedure is from the following reference:

Alan Watts, "The Weather Handbook", 2nd Edition, (Sheridan House, Inc.,
Dobbs Ferry, NY, 1999), ISBN 1-57409-081-X, Chapter 5: "The Message In The
Winds", pp. 43-51

Stand with your back to the surface wind.  If the upper level winds come
from your left; then, a warmer airmass is coming.  If the upper level winds
come from your right; then, a colder airmass is coming.  The warmer airmass
will usually bring rain.  The colder airmass will usually bring clearing
skies.  How do you tell what direction the upper level winds are coming
from?  Look at the direction the high altitude cirrus clouds are moving.

There is good science behind this one.  Mr. Watts explains it pretty well in
the book.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium