[Rhodes22-list] Bow pulpit Construction Materials and Tubular metalobjects

Ronald Lipton rlipton at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 22 10:41:18 EST 2004

Carbon fiber is excellent in ratio of mass/modulus, important for some
things,
like reducing weight aloft, but not so important for a bow pulpit.  In
addition
CF is directional and it's strength depends of the direction of the lay-up.
For a
mast the loading directions can be reasonably well predicted.  Harder with a
pulpit.  In addition the joints between horizontal and vertical sections
would
have to be wrapped and glued, not welded or joined with a sleeve. Finally CF
is
much more brittle than stanless. When it yields it fractures - when SS
yields it
bends - much safer.

Ron