[Rhodes22-list] Bow pulpit Construction Materials and Tubular metalobjects

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Sun Feb 22 17:09:07 EST 2004

Ed,

The 1 inch OD rod in 316 SS would be about 16X stiffer than the 1 inch OD
rod in FRP composite.  The 316SS rod could experience 30-40% elongation
(bending or stretching) before breaking.  The FRP composite rod would fail
at about 0.4-2.3% elongation.  So, using the average values of 35% & 1.35%;
the 316SS rod is about 35 / 1.35 = 30X more ductile than the FRP composite
rod.  For example, let's say we are going to point load both rods due to
some sort of collision & the force of the collision is going to force a bend
into the rods.  Because the rods are both round, the centerline of the rods
is called the "neutral axis" and it experiences 0 stress during the bending.
The maximum tensile stress (pulling apart) is experienced by both rods on
the outside of the bend.  The maximum compressive stress (pushing together)
is experienced by both rods on the inside of the bend.  The material on the
outside radius of the bend will start to fail when:

(pi * (r + 0.5)) / (pi * r) => 1 + ([% Ultimate Elongation] / 100)

Where:
pi = 3.1416
r = the radius of the bend at the centerline of the rod (inches)
0.5 = the difference in the radius of the bend from the centerline to the
surface of the 1 inch OD rod (inches)
[% Ultimate Elongation] = 35% for 316 SS & 1.35% for FRP composite

Solve for r:

r <= 0.5 / [% Ultimate Elongation]    @ tensile failure on the outside
radius of the bend

Plug in the average values of [% Ultimate Elongation] for 316SS and FRP
composite and we get:

316SS:  r <= 1.43 inches
FRP composite:  r <=  37.0 inches

The FRP composite rod will start failing in tension when the forced bend
radius gets tighter than about 37 inches.  The 316SS rod will accept a bend
radius as tight as 1.43 inches before failure starts.

In addition, by bending that much, the 316SS rod would absorb much more of
the kinetic energy of the collision, thus "protecting" the rest of the boat
from damage.  The required load to bend each rod will be about 16X greater
for 316SS vs. FRP composite.  Since the kinetic energy in the collision is
proportional to V^2, the required collision velocity will be about (16)^1/2
= 4X greater for the 316SS rod vs. the FRP composite rod.

Ed, in this case, the difference is so great that statistics is not a
factor.

If the MacGregor's mast has been permanently deformed by bending or denting;
then, it has been strain hardened.  Even if the mast could be straightened
in some sort of hydraulic press, the old bend would probably always have a
"wrinkle" in it and would less ductile than the rest of the mast.  i.e. A
weak point.  The strain hardening could be removed by heating the entire
mast above the metal's recrystalization temperature, which for Al 7075-T6 =
about 150 deg C for several hours.  At this point, you would have an Al
7075-T0 mast, which would be very soft, very ductile, and not very strong.
The entire mast would then have to be put thru the so-called "T6" heat
treatment process to get it back to the original strength and ductility.
Then, the mast would have to be refinished and all the fittings and other
pieces/parts reinstalled.  It's probably cheaper to buy a new mast.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V dynamic Equilibrium