[Rhodes22-list] I really appreciate you guys

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Sun Feb 22 21:06:24 EST 2004

Barney,

The problem is that bow anchor platforms do not scale at the same rate as
the rest of the boat.  There is sort of a minimum size for an anchor
platform on any size boat that is set more by the size of the humans that
have to use it than by the size of the boat or the anchor.  On a relatively
small boat, like a Rhodes 22, this minimum size is sufficiently large to
cause potential problems with aesthetics, weight distribution, and windage.
On a larger boat, like your Soverel 33, the size, weight, and windage of the
anchor platform is proportionately less of an issue.

With the roller furling genoa and control lines up there on the bow, how
were you intending to have your anchor platform?  Did you intend to raise up
the roller furling spool and stow the anchor under it or were you intending
to mount the anchor at an angle to the centerline of the boat?

In any event, that doesn't leave much sitting room for bikini-clad women for
any reasonable sized platform.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium